Grade – 9th to 12th
|Format/ Schedule||Vacation / Summer|
|2024 Dates||Summer: June 10th – June 14th; July 8th – July 12th; July 29th – August 2nd|
|Eligibility||Intro to Stem Cell Systems is an introductory hands-on program, open to both residential and international students. It is suited to science enthusiasts with a basic understanding of cell and molecular biology. No prior laboratory experience is required to take this course. Applicants must have passed high-school Math, English and Biology or equivalent courses with a grade C or above. Students are required to arrange their own transportation to and from the program.|
|Admission||Eligible students are accepted on a first-come-first-served rolling basis up to 1 week before the course start date. Additional questions? Click here to learn more about our general admissions policy or call us at 310-483-3651.|
Intro to stem cell systems is an entry-level course aimed at STEM enthusiasts who are interested in gaining real-world experience.
Participants learn essential concepts in stem cell science through hands-on lab classes that explore the biology and application of human stem cells.
The program is taught in a biotech research facility by professional scientists who are also exceptional mentors.
Each day focuses on a different topic in stem cell biology, creating an in-depth overview of the history, science, and ethics of stem cell research.
Intro to Stem Cell Systems provides:
– Practical experience working with the three predominant stem cell research models – cancer, adult (neural) and induced pluripotent.
– Daily college-level lectures that provide a conceptual overview of the lab-classes.
– An introduction to literature searching using PubMed and Google Scholar.
– A literature research activity focusing on the dangers of unregulated stem cell therapies and the clinics that promote them.
– Exposure to biotechnology and real-world science.
– Applicable skills and knowledge for future STEM programs such as AP biology, science fair research, college lab classes and workplace internships.
– An opportunity to connect with other science enthusiasts.
– A certificate of completion.
– A resource pack containing guidance and information relating to STEM careers.
Intro to Stem Cell Systems covers the following topics in stem cell science:
Day 1: Basic stem cell biology and stem cell culture techniques
– College-level lectures
*Intro to stem cell systems provides practical training in: BSL-2 lab safety procedures, stem cell culture, aseptic technique, tissue microdissection, cell derivation, stem cell isolation, electroporation, antibody labeling and microscopy (phase contrast and fluorescent).