Grade – 7th to 9th
|Format/ Schedule||Vacation / Summer|
|2024 Dates||July 22nd – July 26th and August 12th – August 16th|
|Times||9.00am – 3.00pm Monday – Friday (After care to 5pm is available at no extra cost)|
|Eligibility||The Stem Cell Research Program is an advanced hands-on course, open to both residential and international students. It is suited to science enthusiasts with curious minds and a passion for research. No prior laboratory experience is required to take this course, though participants must have a good understanding of cell biology and genetics, ideally gained through an accredited middle school biology program (either online or in person). If your child has not studied cell biology and/or genetics to middle school level they can gain the requisite education by attending our Intro to Cell Biology and Stem Cells and Biotechnology programs. Students are required to arrange their own transportation to and from the program.|
|Admission||Eligible students are accepted on a first-come-first-served rolling basis up to 1 week before the course start date. Additional questions? Click here to learn more about our general admissions policy or call us at 310-483-3651.|
The Stem Cell Research Program is an advanced inquiry-based course, ideally suited to research enthusiasts with a strong foundation in biological science.
Participants learn to plan, implement, analyze, and present a research experiment focusing on the fascinating question of whether comic book superpowers are biologically feasible.
The program is taught hands-on in a biotech research laboratory by professional scientists who are also exceptional mentors.
Students work in small teams to investigate the regenerative powers of "The Flash" and compete for prizes during a fun poster presentation contest, which is open to friends and family.
The Stem Cell Research Program provides:
– Theoretical discussions that build science literacy and provide a conceptual overview of the hands-on activities and research process.
– Preparation for diverse learning environments through a multidisciplinary curriculum that combines science with math, writing, IT (Microsoft office software) and public speaking.
– Exposure to biotechnology, scientific research, and real-world science.
– Applicable skills and knowledge for future STEM programs such as high school biology and science fair research.
– An opportunity to connect with other science enthusiasts.
– A certificate of completion.
– Early exposure to STEM careers.
The Stem Cell Research Program provides advanced training in the following research techniques:
1. Background research:
2. Hypothesis formation:
3. Experimental Design:
4. Experimental Implementation:
5. Data collection and analysis:
6. Data interpretation:
7. Research Communication:
– Inspiring multidisciplinary curriculum
*The Stem Cell Research Program provides practical training in: BSL-1 lab safety, microscopy (phase contrast and fluorescent), pipetting, centrifuging, molecular biology (DNA isolation, restriction digest, agarose gel electrophoresis), bioassays (immunocytochemistry), experimentation, scientific research method, computer software (Microsoft office and microscope camera image acquisition) and research poster preparation.