Grade – 9th to 12th
|Vacation / Summer
|June 24th – June 28th
|Molecular Stem Cell Biology is an advanced hands-on program, open to both residential and international students. It is suited to science enthusiasts with a good understanding of cell and molecular biology. No prior laboratory experience is required to take this course. Applicants must have passed high-school Math, English and Biology or equivalent courses with a grade C or above. Students are required to arrange their own transportation to and from the program.
|Eligible students are accepted on a first-come-first-served rolling basis up to 1 week before the course start date. Additional questions? Click here to learn more about our general admissions policy or call us at 310-483-3651.
Molecular Stem Cell Biology is an advanced course aimed at students who are interested in molecular biology and genetic engineering.
Participants learn to clone a human gene, construct an expression plasmid, create a fluorescent fusion protein, and engineer human stem cells using modern techniques that are not taught in school or college.
The program expands on high school biology courses and is taught entirely hands-on in a biotech research facility by professional scientists who are also exceptional mentors.
The program provides:
– An introduction to molecular biology software and the use of bioinformatics in genetic engineering.
– Practical experience culturing, transfecting and genetically engineering human cancer stem cells.
– College-level lectures that provide a conceptual overview of the lab-classes.
– An introduction to the real-world applications of gene cloning and protein engineering.
– Exposure to biotechnology and real-world science.
– Applicable skills and knowledge for future STEM programs such as AP biology, science fair research, college lab classes and workplace internships.
– An opportunity to connect with other science enthusiasts.
– A certificate of completion.
– A resource pack containing guidance and information relating to STEM careers.
Students with a keen interest in molecular biology and genetic engineering can expand their knowledge and gain complementary skills during the Methods in Stem Cell Engineering Program.
Molecular Stem Cell Biology teaches students how to:
1. Utilize molecular biology software to design a gene amplification and cloning strategy
– College level lectures
* Molecular stem cell biology provides practical training in: